THE TOOLS OF QUALITATIVE APPROACH TO MEASURE RURAL TRANSFORMATION: THE CASE OF YOGYAKARTA RURAL VILLAGE
Yogyakarta is one of the rapidly growing Indonesian cities with its strong culture to construct a distinctive transformation, especially in the rural area. The process of transformation in rural areas is a continuous process as a form of the desire to grow. The agricultural based rural area diversify into activities other than agriculture, such as small craft industry and rural tourism. This study aims to explore tools to measure the level of transformation with a qualitative approach. The uniqueness of the transformation process in the rural area of Yogyakarta inspires the preparation of transformation measurement tools with a qualitative approach by using eight indicators to produce a depth of findings. The tools are developed by using a quadrant model of the combination of potential resources with the efforts made by the occupants. Since the case study research is being used to for the analysis, the quantitative approach could be also used to validate the result of the tools. The quantitative data is taken from secondary data of satellite imagery, government institution, and field survey. Furthermore, this research provides interesting findings by its comparative study between qualitative and quantitative approach. The qualitative approach can become a tool for explaining the dynamics of the transformation of rural area as a whole, complementing quantitative results.
- Arsyad, L., Satriawan, E., Mulyo, J.H., & Fitrady, A., 2011 Stategi Pembangunan Perdesaan Berbasis Lokal, Unit Penerbit Percetakan STIM YKPN, Yogyakarta.
- Biro Pusat Statistik Kabupaten Bantul. (2002 and 2011). Kecamatan Kasihan dalam angka 2002 dan 2011, internet source URL https://bantulkab.bps.go.id/publication.html
- Biro Pusat Statistik Kabupaten Sleman. (2003 and 2011). Kecamatan Cangkringan dalam angka 2003 dan 2011, internet source URL
- Biro Pusat Statistik Kabupaten Sleman. (2003 and 2011). Kecamatan Turi dalam angka 2003 dan 2011, internet source URL https://slemankab.bps.go.id/publication.html
- Biro Pusat Statistik Kabupaten Bantul. (2006 and 2011). Kecamatan Bantul dalam angka 2006 dan 2011, internet source URL https://bantulkab.bps.go.id/publication.html
- Biro Pusat Statistik. (2010). Penduduk Indonesia Menurut Desa (Sensus 2010). internet source URL https://www.bps.go.id/website/fileMenu/Penduduk-Indonesia-Menurut-Desa-2010.pd
- Biro Pusat Statistik. 2010 Migrasi Internal Penduduk Indonesia Hasil Sensus Penduduk 2010 internet source URL https://www.bps.go.id/publication/2012/05/23/9cd01b5265c6988245eca87a/migrasi-internal-penduduk-indonesia-hasil-sensus-penduduk-2010
- Chen, L., Lin, S., & Kuo, C. 2013 Rural tourism: Marketing strategies for the bed and breakfast industry in Taiwan, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Volume 32, March 2013, pp. 278-286
- Dłużewska.A, Dłużewski, M. 2017 Tourism versus the transformation of ksours– Southern Morocco case study, Bulletin of Geography. Socio–economic Series No. 36 (2017), pp77–86.
- Dogra, R., Gupta, A. (2012). Barriers to Community Participation in Tourism Development: Empirical Evidence from a Rural Destination, South Asian Journal of Tourism and Heritage, January 2012 5 No.1, pp. 129-142.
- Ezung, T.Z. 2011 Rural Tourism in Nagaland, India: Exploring the Potential, International Journal of Rural Management 7 (1&2), pp. 133-147.
- Gibson, K., Cahill, A., & McKay, D. 2010 rethinking the dynamics of rural transformation: performing different development pathways in a Philippine municipality. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 35, 237-255.
- Green, G.P. 2001 Amenities and Community Economic Development: Strategies for Sustainability, the Journal of Regional Analysis & Policy (2001) 31:2, pp. 61-75.
- Heejeong, Y. 2014 Spatial relationships of cultural amenities in rural tourism areas, Tourism Planning and Development, 2014 vol 11 No 4, pp. 452-462.
- Hernández-Maestro,R, Muñoz-Gallego P.A, & Santos-Requejo, L. 2009 Small-Business Owners’ Knowledge and Rural Tourism Establishment Performance in Spain, Journal of Travel Research, 48 Number 1 August 2009, pp. 58-77.
- Long, H., Zou, J., Pykett, J., & Li, Y. 2011 Analysis of rural transformation development in China since the turn of the new millennium. Applied Geography, 31, 1094-1105.
- McGee, T.G. 2008 Managing the Rural-urban Transformation in East Asia in the 21st century, Sustain Sci (2008) 3; pp. 155-167.
- Nair, V., Mohamed, B., Chiun, L.M. 2015 Multi-Dimensional Responsible Rural Tourism Capacity (RRTC) Framework: A Proposed Environmental Responsibility and Management Model for Malaysia, Asia-Pacific Journal of Innovation in Hospitality and Tourism, APJIHT 4 No. 1 March 2015 pp. 93-109.
- Pudianti, A.; Syahbana, J.A.; Suprapti, A. 2015 Location as the Factor of Rural Transformation in Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta, the 2nd Eco-Architecture Conference (EAC 2) proceeding, Qur’anic Science University, Wonosobo, 6-7- April 2015.
- Purnamasari, L. S., Yudana, G., & Rini, E. F. 2017 Spatial transformation of Surakarta’s peripheral rural villages under in-situ urbanization phenomenon: the case of Gentan Village. Geoplanning: Journal of Geomatics and Planning, 4(1), 83-96.
- Rana, S & Marwasta D. 2015 Urbanisation trends in developing countries: Comparative study of Yogyakarta City and Kathmandu Valley, Journal of Natural Resources and Development 2015; 05: 29 – 36.
- Rattanasuwongchai, N. 1998 Rural Tourism – the Impact on Rural Communities II, Thailand Bangkok, Food and Fertilizer Technology Centre for the Asian and Pacific Region, Database Extension Bulletin.
- Reid, D.G., Mair, H & Taylor, J, 2000 Community Participation in Rural Tourism Development, World Leisure Journal, 42, 2000-Issue 2, pp. 20-27.
- Su, S.L... Jiang, Z.L., Zhang, Q & Zhang, Y. 2011 Transformation of agricultural landscape under rapid urbanization: a threat to sustainability in Hang Jia-Hu region, China. Applied Geography, 31, 439-449.
- UN Habitat. 2015 Habitat III Issue Papers: 10 – Urban Rural Linkages. New York.
- Yin, R., 2009 Case Study Research: Design and Methods (fourth edition), Sage Publisher, Newbury Park CA.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to TATALOKA, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Engineering, Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.