ANALYZING THE SMOOTH AND STRIATED SPACE IN PASAR CIPUTAT TANGERANG SELATAN
Striated is seen as a fixed space and carries a sense of border. On the other hand, smooth space is seen as continuous and open interval. However, both terms are always intermingling, at one point smooth can be striated and vice versa. A city can be seen as a striated (border) and as smooth space (urban sprawl). Looking at a strip near Pasar Ciputat, Tangerang Selatan, this paper investigates how space changes function and identity overtime. The strip becomes a good example of analyzing the smooth and striated space practiced in everyday life. This strip is heavily populated by street vendors who has ‘occupying schedule’ and continuously changes the patterns of occupation. They prefer to sell goods on the road instead of in the provided building. By midnight, the road is not accessible as the vendors closed off and sell their goods on the road. In the morning and afternoon, some vendors disappear and their former space has been used by other vendors to sell different goods. Through observation, urban morphological mapping and photographic analysis, this paper uncovers the fluid uses and meaning of the space.
- Adkins, B. (2015). Deleuze and Guattari's Thousand Plateaus: A Critical Introduction and Guide. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Deleuze, G. &. (1987). A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schrizophrenia. London: University of Minesota Press.
- District, T. (2004). Surat Keputuasan Bupati Tangerang No 511.2/Kep 249-Huk/2004. Tangerang Regency: Bupati Tangerang.
- Dovey, K. (2010). Becoming Places. New York: london.
- Dovey, K; King, R. (2011). Forms of Informality: Morphology and Visibility of Informal Settlements. Built Environment, 11-29
- Kamalipour, H. (2016). Forms of Informality and Adaptations in Informal Settlements. Archnet-IJAR, Volume 10 - Issue 3 , 60-75
- Kusno, A. (2000). Architecture, Urban Space, and Political Cultures in Indonesia. London and New York: Routledge.
- Lynch, K. (1959). The Image of the City. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Martin, R & Mathema, A. (2006). Clash of Civilization. In M. Huchzermeyer, & Karam, Informal Settlements (pp. 126-145). Cape Town: UCT Press.
- Nachimias, D. &. (1976). Research Methods in the Social Science. United Kingdom: Edward Arnold.
- Rossi, A. (1986). The Architecture of the City. US: The MIT Press.
- Rukayah, S., & Supriadi, B. (2017). Pasar di Sudut Tiga Koridor Lama Semarang Sebagai Pembentuk Place dan Linkage ekonomi. Tataloka, 82-92.
- Tangsel, P. K. (July 2010). Executive Summary: Kajian dan Evaluasi Pasar Ciputat. Tangerang selatan.
- Tangsel, P. K. (n.d.). Perjanjian Kerjasama Bersyarat No. 551.22/1755-Um/1992. 1992.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to TATALOKA, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Engineering, Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.