Ethnocentrism and Bias Incidents: Is There a Common Thread?
This paper discusses the concepts of culture, ethnocentrism, and bias incidents targeting minority groups, in this case Muslims, in the US. The discussion about the concepts of culture is needed to give a comprehensive understanding of culture and other related topics. It helps to understand the basis of ethnocentrism. Further, it elaborates on both the concept of ethnocentrism and bias incidents that occur in America to find whether there is a common thread between the understanding and the phenomena or not. The study found that ethnocentrism could be the cause of bias incidents targeting minority groups in America. The data is obtained by using the library research method.
Keywords: Culture; Ethnocentrism; Bias Incidents; America.
- “FBI data shows sharp rise in US hate crimes”. The Guardian. Accessed January 28, 2019. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/13/fbi-data-hate-crimes-rise-us-report
- “2017 Hate Crimes Statistics”. Criminal Justice Information Services Division FBI. Accessed January 26, 2019.
- Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- “American Anthropologist”. Encyclopedia Britannica. Accessed January 26, 2019. .
- “What is Culture?”. Palomar Edu. Accessed January 27, 2019.
- Öğretir, Özçelik. “The Study of Ethnocentrism, Stereotype and Prejudice: Psycho‐Analytical and Psycho‐Dynamic Theories”. Journal Of Qafqaz University. 24 Fall 2008, ss. 236-244. Literature Online. Web September 2008
- “CAIR Report: Anti-Muslim Bias Incidents, Hate Crimes Spike in Second Quarter of 2018”. Council on American-Islamic Relations: CAIR. Accessed January 25, 2019.
- “Anti-Muslim bias cases are on the rise, except in New Jersey”. Northjersey. Accessed January 26, 2019.
- “Report a Bias Incident”. Valparaiso University. Accessed January 28, 2019.
- “Identifying and Responding to Bias Incidents”. Teaching Tolerance. Accessed January 26, 2019.
- “How Much Discrimination Do Muslims Face in America?”. Emma Green, The Atlantic. Accessed January 27, 2019.