English Learning Difficulties for Multilingual Student: A Case Study of an Indonesian Student in Learning English
The purpose of this research is to help the learner as a multilingual student in improving her English by understanding a particular learner’s strength and weaknesses in speaking and writing. Single case study is used as a method. Steps in conducting this research are initial interview, analysis of spoken data, and also analysis of written data. The results of the interview, spoken and written data being discussed in detail using previous research and theories as literature research. Results of the research showed that some mistakes in her writing and speaking are influenced by her L1 or in this case Bahasa Indonesia.
Keywords: single case study; speaking; writing; multilingual
Note: This article has supplementary file(s).
- Archibald, A. (2006). Learner strategies: An interview with Steven McDonough. ELT Journal, 60(1), 63-70.
- Beardsmore, H. B. (1986). Bilingualism: basic principles (Vol. 1). Multilingual Matters.
- Benson, P. (2007). Autonomy in language teaching and learning. Language teaching, 40(1), 21-40.
- Bialystok, E. (2001). Bilingualism in development: Language, literacy, and cognition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bley-Vroman, R. (1988). The fundamental character of foreign language learning. Grammar and second language teaching: A book of readings, 19-30.
- Brown, L. C., & Gervais, J. A. (2006). U.S. Patent No. 7,116,685. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Canagarajah, A. S. (2013). Critical academic writing and multilingual students. University of Michigan Press.
- Cho, S. (2011). Teaching materials for efl form-focused instruction using authentic materials and corpus data ( Master thesis). Retrieved from http://linguistics.uoregon.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Cho-Sojung-Aug-11.pdf
- Coffield, F., Moseley, D., Hall, E., & Ecclestone, K. (2004). Learning styles and pedagogy in post-16 learning: A systematic and critical review.
- Corder, S. P. (1974). Error analysis. The Edinburgh course in applied linguistics, 3, 122-131.
- Dörnyei, Z. (1995). On the teachability of communication strategies. TESOL quarterly, 29(1), 55-85.
- Doughty, C., & Williams, J. (Eds.). (1998). Focus on form in classroom second language acquisition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Duvall, E., Robbins, A., Graham, T., & Divett, S. Exploring Filler Words and Their Impact.
- Ellis, R. (2006). Current issues in the teaching of grammar: An SLA perspective. TESOL quarterly, 40(1), 83-107.
- Ellis, R. (2008). The study of second language acquisition (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Haviland, J. B. (2006). Documenting lexical knowledge. Essentials of language documentation, 129-162.
- Housen, A., & Kuiken, F. (2009). Complexity, accuracy, and fluency in second language acquisition. Applied linguistics, 30(4), 461-473.
- Kaweera, C. (2013). Writing Error: A Review of Interlingual and Intralingual Interference in EFL Context. English language teaching, 6(7), 9-18.
- Kocić, A. (2008). The problem of synforms (similar lexical forms). Facta universitatis-series: Linguistics and Literature, 6(1), 51-59.
- Marian, V., & Shook, A. (2012, September). The cognitive benefits of being bilingual. In Cerebrum: the Dana forum on brain science (Vol. 2012). Dana Foundation.
- Mariani, L. (2010). Communication strategies: Learning and teaching how to manage oral interaction. Italy: Learning Paths-Tante Vie Per Imparare.
- Mazouzi, S. (2013). Analysis of Some Factors Affecting Learners’ Oral Performance. A Case Study: 3rd Year Pupils of Menaa’s Middle Schools. M. A. Dissertation, Department of Foreign Languages, English Division, Faculty of Letters and Languages, Mohamed Khider University of Biskra, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria.
- Mishan, F. (2005). Designing authenticity into language learning materials. Intellect Books.
- Nation, P. (1989). Improving speaking fluency. System, 17(3), 377-384.
- Rabab’ah, G. (2013). Strategies of repair in EFL learners’ oral discourse. English Language Teaching, 6(6), 123.
- Rebecca, L., & Oxford, P. (2003). Language Learning Styles and Strategies: An Overview. Online publication. Retrieved November, 2(0), 2.
- Siggelkow, N. (2007). Persuasion with case studies. Academy of management journal, 50(1), 20-24.
- Toyota, J. (2009). Fossilisation of passive in English: Analysis of passive verbs. English Studies, 90(4), 476-497.
- Kravchenko, A. V. (2009). The experiential basis of speech and writing as different cognitive domains. Pragmatics & Cognition, 17(3), 527-548.
- Williams, J. (1998). Focus on form in classroom second language acquisition. C. Doughty (Ed.). Ernst Klett Sprachen.