Enhanced Visible-Light-Driven Photocatalytic Activity of ZnAl Layered Double Hydroxide by Incorporation of Co2+
Copyright (c) 2018 Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Co-doped ZnAl layered double hydroxides (LDH) were papered by coprecipitation. The prepared samples were characterized by multiple techniques including X-ray Diffraction (XRD), Brunauer−Emmett−Teller (BET) surface area, Scanning Electronic Microscopy (SEM), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and UV−Vis Diffuse-Reflectance Spectroscopy (UV−Vis DRS). The incorporation of Co2+ into the ZnAl LDH sheets as CrO6 octahedron forms a new energy level which contributes for the excitation of electrons under visible light. The doped Co2+ at a reasonable content also serves as photo-generated charges separator and improves the visible light photocatalytic activity of ZnAl LDH. A degradation mechanism based on the hydroxyl radical as the active species was proposed. Copyright © 2018 BCREC Group. All rights reserved
Received: 3rd February 2018; Revised: 8th July 2018; Accepted: 13rd July 2018
How to Cite: Li, D., Fan, L., Qi, M., Shen, Y., Liu, D., Li, S. (2018). Enhanced Visible-Light-Driven Photocatalytic Activity of ZnAl Layered Double Hydroxide by Incorporation of Co2+. Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis, 13 (3): 502-511 (doi:10.9767/bcrec.13.3.2168.502-511)
- Xia, S., Zhang, X., Zhou, X., Meng, Y., Xue, J., Ni, Z. (2017). The Influence of Different Cu Species onto Multi-copper-contained Hybrid Materials’ Photocatalytic Property and Mechanism of Chlorophenol Degradation. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 214 (Supplement C): 78-88.
- Evans, D.G., Slade, R.C. (2006). Structural Aspects of Layered Double Hydroxides. in: Duan, X., Evans, D.G. (eds.). Layered Double Hydroxides, pp. 1-87. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Oh, J.-M., Biswick, T.T., Choy, J.-H. (2009). Layered Nanomaterials for Green Materials. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 19(17): 2553-2563.
- Rives, V. (2001). Layered Double Hydroxides: Present and Future, Nova Publishers, New York.
- Xu, Z.P., Zhang, J., Adebajo, M.O., Zhang, H., Zhou, C. (2011). Catalytic Applications of Layered Double Hydroxides and Derivatives. Applied Clay Science, 53(2): 139-150.
- Timár, Z., Varga, G., Muráth, S., Kónya, Z., Kukovecz, Á., Havasi, V., Oszkó, A., Pálinkó, I., Sipos, P. (2017). Synthesis, Characterization and Photocatalytic Activity of Crystalline Mn(II)Cr(III)-layered Double Hydroxide. Catalysis Today, 284(Supplement C): 195-201.
- Moaty, S.A.A., Farghali, A.A., Moussa, M., Khaled, R. (2017). Remediation of Waste Water by Co–Fe Layered Double Hydroxide and Its Catalytic
- Activity. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 71 (Supplement C): 441-453.
- Silva, C.G., Bouizi, Y., Fornés, V., García, H. (2009). Layered Double Hydroxides as Highly Efficient Photocatalysts for Visible Light Oxygen Generation from Water. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 131(38): 13833-13839.
- Mantilla, A., Jácome-Acatitla, G., Morales-Mendoza, G., Tzompantzi, F., Gómez, R. (2011). Photoassisted Degradation of 4-Chlorophenol and p-Cresol using MgAl Hydrotalcites. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 50(5): 2762-2767.
- Nejati, K., Davary, S., Saati, M. (2013). Study of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid (2,4-D) Removal by Cu-Fe-layered Double Hydroxide from Aqueous Solution. Applied Surface Science, 280: 67-73.
- Xia, S.J., Liu, F.X., Ni, Z.M., Xue, J.L., Qian, P.P. (2013). Layered Double Hydroxides as Efficient Photocatalysts for Visible-light Degradation of Rhodamine B. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 405: 195-200.
- Xia, S., Qian, M., Zhou, X., Meng, Y., Xue, J., Ni, Z. (2017). Theoretical and Experimental Investigation into the Photocatalytic Degradation of Hexachlorobenzene by ZnCr Layered Double Hydroxides with Different Anions. Molecular Catalysis, 435 (Supplement C): 118-127.
- Lan, M., Fan, G., Yang, L., Li, F. (2014). Significantly Enhanced Visible-light-induced Photocatalytic Performance of Hybrid Zn–Cr Layered Double Hydroxide/Graphene Nanocomposite and the Mechanism Study. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(33): 12943-12952.
- Xu, D., Rui, Y., Li, Y., Zhang, Q., Wang, H. (2015). Zn-Co Layered Double Hydroxide Modified Hematite Photoanode for Enhanced Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting. Applied Surface Science, 358 (Part A): 436-442.
- Abderrazek, K., Najoua, F.S., Srasra, E. (2016). Synthesis and Characterization of [Zn–Al] LDH: Study of the Effect of Calcination on the Photocatalytic Activity. Applied Clay Science, 119 (Part 2): 229-235.
- Sivakumar, A., Murugesan, B., Loganathan, A., Sivakumar, P. (2014). A Review on Decolourisation of Dyes by Photodegradation using Various Bismuth Catalysts. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 45(5): 2300-2306.
- Zhu, J., Zhu, Z., Zhang, H., Lu, H., Qiu, Y., Zhu, L., Küppers, S. (2016). Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity of Ce-doped Zn-Al Multi-metal Oxide Composites Derived from Layered Double Hydroxide Precursors. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 481, 144-157.
- Morales-Mendoza, G., Alvarez-Lemus, M., López, R., Tzompantzi, F., Adhikari, R., Lee, S.W., Torres-Martínez, L.M., Gómez, R. (2016). Combination of Mn Oxidation States Improves the Photocatalytic Degradation of Phenol with ZnAl LDH Materials without a Source of O2 in the Reaction System. Catalysis Today, 266: 62-71.
- Morales-Mendoza, G., Tzompantzi, F., García-Mendoza, C., López, R., De la Luz, V., Lee, S.-W., Kim, T.-H., Torres-Martínez, L.M., Gómez, R. (2015). Mn-doped Zn/Al Layered Double Hydroxides as Photocatalysts for the 4-Chlorophenol Photodegradation. Applied Clay Science, 118: 38-47.
- Mendoza-Damián, G., Tzompantzi, F., Mantilla, A., Pérez-Hernández, R., Hernández-Gordillo, A. (2016). Improved Photocatalytic Activity of SnO2–ZnAl LDH Prepared by One Step Sn4+ Incorporation. Applied Clay Science, 121–122: 127-136.
- Wang, X., Wu, P., Lu, Y., Huang, Z., Zhu, N., Lin, C., Dang, Z. (2014). NiZnAl Layered Double Hydroxides as Photocatalyst under Solar Radiation for Photocatalytic Degradation of Orange G. Separation and Purification Technology, 132: 195-205.
- Parida, K., Satpathy, M., Mohapatra, L. (2012). Incorporation of Fe3+ into Mg/Al Layered Double Hydroxide Framework: Effects on Textural Properties and Photocatalytic Activity for H2 Generation. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(15): 7350-7357.
- Qi, M., Fan, L., Shen, Y., Zou, H., Tian, X., Liu, D., Li, S. (2018). Improved Visible-light-induced Photocatalytic Performance of ZnAl Layered Double Hydroxide by Incorporation of Ni2+. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 18(1): 753-760.
- Miao, Y., Wang, X., Wang, W., Zhou, C., Feng, G., Cai, J., Zhang, R. (2017). Synthesis of Cobalt-doped ZnO/rGO Nanoparticles with Visible-light Photocatalytic Activity through a Cobalt-induced Electrochemical Method. Journal of Energy Chemistry, 26(3): 549-555.
- Shannon, R.D. (1976). Revised Effective Ionic Radii and Systematic Studies of Interatomic Distances in Halides and Chalcogenides. Acta Crystallographica Section A: Crystal Physics, Diffraction, Theoretical and General Crystallography, 32(5): 751-767
- Jawad, A., Li, Y., Lu, X., Chen, Z., Liu, W., Yin, G. (2015). Controlled Leaching with Prolonged Activity for Co–LDH Supported Catalyst during Treatment of Organic Dyes using Bicarbonate Activation of Hydrogen Peroxide. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 289 (Supplement C): 165-173.
- Tian, G., Chen, Y., Zhou, W., Pan, K., Dong, Y., Tian, C., Fu, H. (2011). Facile Solvothermal Synthesis of Hierarchical Flower-like Bi2MoO6 Hollow Spheres as High Performance Visible-light Driven Photocatalysts. J. Mater. Chem., 21(3): 887-892.
- Kumar, S., Isaacs, M.A., Trofimovaite, R., Durndell, L., Parlett, C.M.A., Douthwaite, R.E., Coulson, B., Cockett, M.C.R., Wilson, K., Lee, A.F. (2017). P25@CoAl Layered Double Hydroxide Heterojunction Nanocomposites for CO2 Photocatalytic Reduction. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 209 (Supplement C): 394-404.
- Wang, H., Xiang, X., Li, F. (2010). Hybrid ZnAl-LDH/CNTs Nanocomposites: Noncovalent Assembly and Enhanced Photodegradation Performance. AIChE Journal, 56(3): 768-778.
- Hadnadjev-Kostic, M., Vulic, T., Marinkovic-Neducin, R., Lončarević, D., Dostanić, J., Markov, S., Jovanović, D. (2017). Photo-induced Properties of Photocatalysts: A Study on the Modified Structural, Optical and Textural Properties of TiO2–ZnAl Layered Double Hydroxide Based Materials. Journal of Cleaner Production, 164 (Supplement C): 1-18.
- Yuan, X., Li, W. (2017). Graphitic-C3N4 modified ZnAl-layered Double Hydroxides for Enhanced Photocatalytic Removal of Organic Dye. Applied Clay Science, 138 (Supplement C): 107-113.
- Lu, Y., Lin, Y., Wang, D., Wang, L., Xie, T., Jiang, T. (2011). A High Performance Cobalt-doped ZnO Visible Light Photocatalyst and Its Photogenerated Charge Transfer Properties. Nano Research, 4(11): 1144-1152.
- Yu, L., Zhang, X., Li, G., Cao, Y., Shao, Y., Li, D. (2016). Highly Efficient Bi2O2CO3/BiOCl Photocatalyst Based on Heterojunction with Enhanced Dye-sensitization under Visible Light. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 187: 301-309.
- Kim, S.-H., Ngo, H.H., Shon, H.K., Vigneswaran, S. (2008). Adsorption and Photocatalysis Kinetics of Herbicide onto Titanium Oxide and Powdered Activated Carbon. Separation and Purification Technology, 58(3): 335-342.
- Du, J., Bao, J., Fu, X., Lu, C., Kim, S.H. (2016). Facile Preparation of S/Fe Composites as an Effective Peroxydisulfate Activator for RhB Degradation. Separation and Purification Technology, 163: 145-152.
- Ahmed, K.A.M., Li, B., Tan, B., Huang, K. (2013). Urchin-like Cobalt Incorporated Manganese Oxide OMS-2 Hollow Spheres: Synthesis, Characterization and Catalytic Degradation of RhB Dye. Solid State Sciences, 15: 66-72.
- Sun, W.-j., Li, J., Yao, G.-p., Jiang, M., Zhang, F.-x. (2011). Efficient Photo-degradation of 4-Nitrophenol by using New CuPp-TiO2 Photocatalyst under Visible Light Irradiation. Catalysis Communications, 16(1): 90-93.
- Su, Y., Han, Z., Zhang, L., Wang, W., Duan, M., Li, X., Zheng, Y., Wang, Y., Lei, X. (2017). Surface Hydrogen Bonds Assisted Meso-porous WO3 Photocatalysts for High Selective Oxidation of Benzylalcohol to Benzylaldehyde. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 217 (Supplement C): 108-114.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors and readers can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, as well as remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, but they must give appropriate credit (cite to the article or content), provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
Copyright Transfer Agreement
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis journal and Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc., will be allowed only with a written permission from Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis journal and Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis journal and Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.
The Copyright Transfer Form can be downloaded here: [Copyright Transfer Form BCREC 2016]
The copyright form should be signed originally and send to the Editorial Office in the form of original mail, scanned document or fax :
Prof. Dr. I. Istadi (Editor-in-Chief)
Editorial Office of Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering and Catalysis
Department of Chemical Engineering, Diponegoro University
Jl. Prof. Soedarto, Kampus Undip Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275
Telp.: +62-24-7460058, Fax.: +62-24-76480675