Synthesis and Evaluation of ABO3 Perovskites (A=La and B=Mn, Co) with Stoichiometric and Over-stoichiometric Ratios of B/A for Catalytic Oxidation of Trichloroethylene
Copyright (c) 2018 Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis
License URL: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
In this contribution, perovskite catalysts (ABO3) were probed that site A and site B were occupied by lanthanum and transition metals of manganese or cobalt, respectively, with stoichiometric ratios as well as 20 % over-stoichiometric ratios of B/A. The perovskite samples were synthesized using a gel-combustion method and characterized by BET, XRD, SEM and O2-TPD analyses. After mounting in a fixed bed reactor, the catalysts were examined in atmospheric pressure conditions at different temperatures for oxidation of 1000 ppm trichloroethylene in the air. Evaluation of over-stoichiometric catalysts activity showed that the increased ratio of B/A in the catalysts compared to the stoichiometric one led to BET surface area, oxygen mobility, and consequently catalytic performance improvement. The lanthanum manganite perovskite with 20 % excess manganese yielded the best catalytic performance among the probed perovskites. Copyright © 2018 BCREC Group. All rights reserved
Received: 28th April 2017; Revised: 31st July 2017; Accepted: 4th August 2017; Available online: 22nd January 2018; Published regularly: 2nd April 2018
How to Cite: Alagheband, R., Maghsoodi, S., Kootenaei, A.S., Kianmanesh, H. (2018). Synthesis and Evaluation of ABO3 Perovskites (A=La and B=Mn, Co) with Stoichiometric and Over-stoichiometric Ratios of B/A for Catalytic Oxidation of Trichloroethylene. Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis, 13 (1): 47-56 (doi:10.9767/bcrec.13.1.1188.47-56)
- Sofuoglu, S.C., Aslan, G., Inal, F., Sofuoglu, A. (2011). An Assessment of Indoor Air Concentrations and Health Risks of Volatile Organic Compounds in Three Primary Schools. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 214: 36–46.
- Suib, S.L. ed. (2013). New and Future Developments in Catalysis for Remediation and Environmental Concerns, Elsevier.
- Maghsoodi, S., Towfighi, J., Khodadadi, A., Mortazavi, Y. (2013). The Effects of Excess Manganese in Nano-Size Lanthanum Manganite Perovskite on Enhancement of Trichloroethylene Oxidation Activity. Chemical Engineering Journal, 215-216: 827-837.
- Maghsoodi, S., Khodadadi, A., Towfighi, J., Mortazavi, Y. (2013). Enhanced Trichloroethylene Catalytic Oxidation on Modified Lanthanum Manganite Nano-perovskites. International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 11: 353-359.
- Esmaeilnejad-Ahranjani, P., Khodadadi, A., Ziaei-Azad, H., Mortazavi, Y. (2011). Effects of Excess Manganese in Lanthanum Manganite Perovskite on Lowering Oxidation Light-off Temperature for Automotive Exhaust Gas Pollutants. Chemical Engineering Journal, 169: 282-289.
- Cairong, G., Guoliang, F., Yanfeng, H., Chonglin, S., Qifei, H., Zhongrong, Z. (2007). Properties of La1-xCexCoO3 System Perovskite-type Catalysts for Diesel Engine Exhaust Removal. Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, 1: 6-10.
- Misono, M. (2013). Catalysis of Perovskite and Related Mixed Oxides. Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, 176: 67-95.
- Nitadori, T., Ichiki, T., Misono, M. (1988). Catalytic Properties of Perovskite-type Mixed Oxides (ABO3) Consisting of Rare Earth and 3d Transition Metals: The Roles of the A- and B-Site Ions. Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, 61: 621-626.
- Nitadori, T., Kurihara, S., Misono, M. (1986). Catalytic Properties of La1-xA′xMnO3 (A′=Sr, Ce, Hf). Journal of Catalysis, 98: 221-228.
- Nakamura, T., Misono, M., Uchijima, T., Yoneda, Y. (1980). Catalytic Activities of Perovskite-type Compounds for Oxidation Reactions. Nippon Kagaku Kaishi, 1980: 1679-1684.
- Spinicci, R., Delmastro, A., Ronchetti, S., Tofanari, A. (2002). Catalytic Behaviour of Stoichiometric and Non-Stoichiometric LaMnO3 Perovskite towards Methane Combustion. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 78: 393-399.
- O'Connell, M., Norman, A.K., Huttermann, C.F., Morris, M.A. (1999). Catalytic Oxidation over Lanthanum-Transition Metal Perovskite Materials. Catalysis Today, 47: 123-132.
- Chiu, W.A., Jinot, J., Scott, C.S., Makris, S.L., Cooper, G.S., Dzubow, R.C., Bale, A.S., Evans, M.V., Guyton, K.Z., Keshava, N., Lipscomb, J.C., Barone, S., Fox, J.F., Gwinn, M.R., Schaum, J., Caldwell, J.C. (2013). Human Health Effects of Trichloroethylene: Key Findings and Scientific Issues. Environmental Health Perspectives, 121: 303-311.
- Spinicci, R., Faticanti, M., Marini, P., De Rossi, S., Porta, P. (2003). Catalytic Activity of LaMnO3 and LaCoO3 Perovskites towards VOCs Combustion. Journal of Molecular Catalysis A-Chemical, 197: 147-155.
- Van Roosmalen, J.A.M., Van Vlaanderen, P., Cordfunke, E.H.P. (1995). Phases in the Perovskite-Type LaMnO3+δ Solid Solution and the La2O3-Mn2O3 Phase Diagram. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 114: 516-523.
- Sinquin, G., Petit, C., Hindermann, J.P., Kiennemann, A. (2011). Study of the Formation of LaMO3 (M=Co, Mn) Perovskites by Propionates Precursors: Application to the Catalytic Destruction of Chlorinated VOCs. Catalysis Today, 70: 183-196.
- Ziaei-Azad, H., Khodadadi, A., Esmaeilnejad-Ahranjani, P., Mortazavi, Y. (2011). Effects of Pd on Enhancement of Oxidation Activity of LaBO3 (B=Mn, Fe, Co and Ni) Perovskite Catalysts for Pollution Abatement from Natural Gas Fueled Vehicles. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 102: 62-70.
- Songa, K.S., Cui, H.X. (1999). Catalytic Combustion of CH4 and CO on La1−xMxMnO3 Perovskites. Catalysis Today, 47: 155-160.
- Poplawski, K., Lichtenberger, J., Keil, F.J., Schnitzlein, K., Amiridis, M.D. (2000). Catalytic Oxidation of 1,2-dichlorobenzene over ABO3-type Perovskites. Catalysis Today, 62: 329-336.
- Soongprasit, K., Aht-Ong, D., Atong, D. (2012). Synthesis and Catalytic Activity of Sol-Gel Derived La-Ce-Ni Perovskite Mixed Oxide on Steam Reforming of Toluene. Current Applied Physics, 12: S80-S88.
- Taran, O.P., Ayusheev, A.B., Ogorodnikova, O.L., Prosvirin, I.P. (2016). Perovskite-like Catalysts LaBO3 (B=Cu, Fe, Mn, Co, Ni) for Wet Peroxide Oxidation of Phenol. Applied Catalysts B- Environmental, 180: 86-93.
- Álvarez-Galván, M.C., de la Peña O'Shea, V.A., Arzamendi, G. (2009). Methyl Ethyl Ketone Combustion over La-transition Metal (Cr, Co, Ni, Mn) Perovskites. Applied Catalysts B-Environmental, 92: 445-453
- Einaga, H., Hyodo, S., Teraoka, Y. (2010). Complete Oxidation of Benzene over Perovskite-type Oxide Catalysts. Topics in Catalysis, 53: 629-634.
- Li, C.L., Lin, Y.C. (2011). Methanol Partial Oxidation over Palladium-, Platinum-, and Rhodium-integrated LaMnO3 Perovskites. Applied Catalysis B-Environmental, 107: 284-293.
- Gonzalez-Velasco, J.R., Aranzabal, A. (1998). Activity and Product Distribution of Alumina Supported Platinum and Palladium Catalysts in The Gas-Phase Oxidative Decomposition of Chlorinated Hydrocarbons. Applied Catalysis B-Environmental, 19: 189-197.
- Park, J.N., Lee, C.W., Chang, J.S. (2004). Catalytic Oxidation of Trichloroethylene over Pd-Loaded Sulfated Zirconia. Bulletin of The Korean Chemical Society, 9: 1355-1360.
- Ciambelli, P., Cimino, S. (2001). AFeO3 (A=La, Nd, Sm) and LaFe1-xMgxO3 Perovskites as Methane Combustion and CO Oxidation Catalysts: Structural, Redox and Catalytic Properties. Applied Catalysis B- Environmental, 29: 239-250.
- Teraoka, Y., Nii, H. (2000). Influence of the Simultaneous Substitution of Cu and Ru in the Perovskite-type (La, Sr)MO3 (M=Al, Mn, Fe, Co) on the Catalytic Activity for CO Oxidation and CO-NO Reactions. Applied Catalysis A- General, 194: 35-41.
- Teng, F., Han, W. (2007). Catalytic Behavior of Hydrothermally Synthesized La0.5Sr0.5MnO3 Single-crystal Cubes in the Oxidation of CO and CH4. Journal of Catalysis, 250: 1-11.
- Miranda, B., Diaz, E., Ordonez, S., Vega, A., Diez, F.V. (2007). Oxidation of Trichloroethene over Metal Oxide Catalysts: Kinetic Studies and Correlation with Adsorption Properties. Chemosphere, 66: 1706-1715.
- Miranda, B., Diaz, E., Ordonez, S., Vega, A., Diez, F.V. (2006). Performance of Alumina-supported Noble Metal Catalysts for the Combustion of Trichloroethene at Dry and Wet Conditions. Applied Catalysis B-Environmental, 64: 262-271.
Authors and readers can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, as well as remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, but they must give appropriate credit (cite to the article or content), provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
Copyright Transfer Agreement
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis journal and Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc., will be allowed only with a written permission from Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis journal and Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis journal and Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering & Catalysis are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.
The Copyright Transfer Form can be downloaded here: [Copyright Transfer Form BCREC 2016]
The copyright form should be signed originally and send to the Editorial Office in the form of original mail, scanned document or fax :
Prof. Dr. I. Istadi (Editor-in-Chief)
Editorial Office of Bulletin of Chemical Reaction Engineering and Catalysis
Department of Chemical Engineering, Diponegoro University
Jl. Prof. Soedarto, Kampus Undip Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275
Telp.: +62-24-7460058, Fax.: +62-24-76480675